- Ground floor, wheelchair accessible room available with en-suite wet-room facilities including shower wheelchair
- First floor, wheelchair accessible family room with en-suite wet-room facilities – this room has a double bed, a single adjustable bed, bunk beds and a bed-settee
- Lift installed in 2014 ensures that the whole house is accessible
- Shower wheelchair available
- Excellent standards of service with free to use Internet PC, free Wi-Fi throughout, and all rooms have a digital flat screen Freeview TV/DVD
About UsAbbey Guest House is ideally located for those visiting Oxford as we are just a short bus ride away, with a dropped kerb to the bus stop that is on our doorstep. Buses in this area ‘kneel’ and can accommodate wheelchairs, buggies, and similar small-wheeled modes of transport.
We are a quiet, ‘Home from Home’, non-smoking, multi-award winning, highly accessible B&B, in the historic town of Abingdon-on-Thames. A choice of 7 en-suite bedrooms includes ground floor ‘Easy Access’ (with wet-room), first floor ‘Family Accessible’ (with wet-room) and ‘Allergy Friendly’. Guests enjoy private parking (with Blue Badge bay), excellent bus services and local amenities, secure cycle/scooter storage, Fair Trade items and free Wi-Fi.
All guests have shower rooms and access to a guest bathroom. Room facilities include: digital Freeview TV & DVD player, free security safe, hair-dryer, towelling robes, iron and ironing board. A host of extra equipment, aids and information is available as we offer a flexible and responsive service for all ages and requirements.
From just outside Abbey Guest House, modern accessible buses provide frequent 20 minute journeys to Oxford town centre, coach and railway stations, with fast onward journeys to London, Birmingham etc. Train services from farthest West Wales or Bristol stop at nearby Didcot Station where buses again link quickly to ‘our’ bus stop outside.
We are now Quality rated at 4 Star Gold and have also achieved M1, M2, M3i, H1 and V1 accessibility ratings with the National Accessible Scheme.
In 2008 we were runners-up in the Tourism awards for our 'Access to All' provision.
We are very proud to have WON the 'Access for All' category for 2009 in the 'ExSEllence' awards covering the whole of the South East of England!
In 2012, after being a finalist in South East England again in 2011, we were even more proud to have achieved Highly Commended in the ‘Access for All Tourism’ category of the Visit England awards that covered the whole of the country.
Now in 2015 we have again achieved Highly Commended in the Tourism SE, Beautiful South Awards for Excellence for our accessibility, this is as more and more organisations now take this issue seriously. We are also finalists in the category of ‘Best B&B/Guest Accommodation of the Year’ – final placings to be announced early in December 2015.
Take a Virtual Tour of Abbey Guest House...
AccommodationWe have a wide choice of rooms available. There is a kettle with a hospitality tray (with many Fair Trade items) provided in each room, together with a TV/DVD, radio alarm, hairdryer, iron and ironing board. In addition, every room has Wi-Fi and a personal security safe.
For guests that require a little extra help:
For guests with hearing impairment, we are able to offer the use of a 'Deafgard' device as well as a neck loop, for use with the TV. There is also a door knock signaller. Additionally, we have a mobile induction loop in our reception area.
A 'Large Print Version' of our guest literature is available for guests that have a visual impairment, together with a hand held camera based text magnifier to link with any TV or computer screen. Certain switches and signs are labelled with a large sized font or braille and there should be sufficient contrast in the décor to enable many guests to ‘see’ their way around.
We also have a bed rail available if required.
The rooms available are:
· Room 1 - Easy Access Twin Room with Two Single Beds, one of which is an Electric Adjustable Bed. This room has an en-suite wet-room
· Room 2 – Twin/Triple Room with en-suite shower.
· Room 3 – Family Accessible Room with Double Bed, Bunk Beds, Single Electric Adjustable Bed and a Bed-Settee. This room has an en-suite wet-room
· Room 4 - Superior Single Room with Standard Double Bed and with en-suite shower.
· Room 5 - "King Size" Double Room with en-suite shower, overlooking the rear garden.
· Room 6 - Modern 'Allergy Friendly' "King Size" Double Room with en-suite shower.
· Room 7 - Modern Single Room with en-suite shower - some reduced headroom so offered at a reduced price.
Please note, a separate bathroom containing just a bath is available as an additional facility.
AttractionsAbingdon is a town of tremendous historical interest and has many listed buildings. From 1556 it was the capital town (and the market town) of Berkshire, but in 1974 - when there was a reorganisation of local government - it became part of the Vale of White Horse which is included in the county of Oxfordshire. Abingdon is also famous for being the home of the MG cars that were produced in the town for 50 years. Unfortunately production ceased in 1980 but the MG Car Club organises rallies when vintage MGs can be seen returning to the town.
· £75 per room per night - single occupancy (£60 for Room 7)
· £100 per room per night – 2-person occupancy of either a twin or a double room
· Supplements for additional persons/multi-occupancy
· Discounts for children aged 11 or under at time of stay
· Please contact us for prices for babies in a cot (provided)
· Discounts applicable if 4 or more consecutive nights are booked
· Prices include VAT
· Price includes full cooked English breakfast. We are unable to offer supper, but there are some good pubs close by, and several excellent restaurants offering a variety of cuisines in town.
Most guests arrive between 17.00 and 19.00 and so we always try to ensure that there is someone here at that time. However, if this is not suitable for you, then we are very happy for you to arrive at a different time – all we ask is that you contact us to agree a mutually convenient time.
Check out is by 10.00am.
- Accessible Parking
- Accessible Drop Off Point
- Level or Ramped Access to Entrance
- Induction Loop System at Reception
- Information Available In Large Print
- Accessible Toilet(s)
- Accessible Bathroom(s)
- Wheel-in Shower(s)
- Accessible Bedroom(s)
- Flashing Fire Alarm
- Disabled equipment available on-site
Reviews for Abbey Guest House
Terry was so welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. Room was very good and nothing was left to chance. Can't praise the facilities enough every little detail had been carefully thought through. We wanted a 'triple' room and not many places offer this.Terry even sorted out our evening meal @ the local pub - I have no doubt that they would not have catered for us without her help. We were attending the WI Denman College and would strongly recommend this lovely B&B to any of our other WI members. Terry also gave us excellent directions to the college without having to drive through the town - nothing like local knowledge. If / when we come back to Denman we would certainly stay here - it would be number one on our list.
Ann Farrow - November 2015
We didn't arrive until 23:00 however Terry the owner was welcoming and could not have done more for us. We had tea, coffee, cakes and biscuits served to us in the lounge and Terry spent time to help us with planning our journey by bus into Oxford the next day. We were asked about our preferences for breakfast the next morning so that Terry could ensure she had everything we needed. We stayed in the family room which is very spacious, immaculately clean and has a superb wet room. Breakfast the next morning was delicious with a range of cereals on offer, as well as fresh fruit, yoghurts and an extensive cooked item menu. We sat at the table in front of the patio doors and watched the wild birds visiting the garden while we ate. We will definitely stay here again if we visit Oxford. One thing I really need to mention is this guest house has been equipped to deal with any disability that a guest may have. A great deal of thought has gone into everything and I am sure that any requirement would be dealt with professionally, happily and without making the guest feel awkward about the request. Thank you Terry for making it a home from Home.
Kerri W - October 2015
This recommendation is long overdue as we visited Terry at Abbey Guest House on 15th September 2015. We were made very welcome. Our room was extremely comfortable , very clean and very well equipped, every need was thought of. In fact it is one of the best guest houses we have stayed at. The food was delicious with a wide menu choice. Terry and her staff are lovely and so obliging. If in the area we would stay again.
Mary K - October 2015
LocationView map for Abbey Guest House
Abbey Guest House
136 Oxford Road
T: 01235 537020
M: 07976 627252
Send an e-mail to Abbey Guest House
When contacting Abbey Guest House, please mention that you saw them on Good Access Guide. Thank you.
Before booking accommodation or a visit to this business please contact them to ensure that they have the facilities / amenities to suit
your particular requirements. For more information please read our disclaimer.